In this interview I got a chance to connect with Ashanti Bentil-Dhue, co-founder of Black in Events and Diversity Ally, and Founder & Director of EventMind. Ashanti takes us through the importance of having an inclusive workplace in the events industry.
- Many event organizations need to work on being more diverse and more inclusive.
- Diversity Ally provides consultancy in terms of organizations to help them become more diverse.
- Most of the diversity work that is needed in the industry is a mindset approach vs solutions oriented. This work is more about changing the attitudes, beliefs, ideas and ways of doing things.
- Companies should be ethically diverse and inclusive in the way that they get their results.
- To have a conversation with your organization, consider doing a blind survey or hire a hire a diversity and inclusion specialist to facilitate.
- If you are appointing a diversity committee, ensure that its members build trust and respect with others outside of the committee. Also ensure they have the necessary skillset to have important discussions needed.
- After you listen and learn, consider your next steps in your organization and make a plan to move forward for change.
Links and Resources
Thank you for listening
If you enjoy this episode, I invite you to subscribe to this podcast so that we can deliver you more insightful conversations with leaders in our industry. If you have had success in managing diversity and inclusion with your events organization, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/plannersonpurpose/message
P.S. Want more tips on being diverse in the workplace, check out this podcast episode too.